Namaz line continues in Gurgaon: protesters gather at new prayer site and issue ultimatum

Namaz line continues in Gurgaon: protesters gather at new prayer site and issue ultimatum

[ad_1]

While namaz at the Gurgaon Sector 47 site, which has faced protests for the past month from residents, was peacefully shut down, another site in Gurgaon saw an outbreak on Friday after at least 30 protesters, including those affiliated with Bajrang Dal, interrupt the Friday prayers in the Sector. 12 A chowk.

Police said protesters raised slogans “Jai Shri Ram” and “Bharat Mata ki Jai” amid a heavy deployment of security personnel. The protesters alleged that “outsiders” were offering namaz “illegally”.

Police said protesters raised slogans “Jai Shri Ram” and “Bharat Mata ki Jai” amid a heavy deployment of security personnel. (Express photo)

The protesters also told police that if namaz is offered at the same location next Friday and an “unfortunate incident” occurs, it would be the responsibility of the administration.

Police sources and district administration officials said the Sector 12 site had been chosen for prayers “with the consent of the residents” after the namaz was interrupted elsewhere. It is one of 37 sites finalized on May 18, 2018 by the administration for Friday prayers after discussions with members of both communities. Police said prayers have been offered here for more than a year without interruption.

The protesters, however, claimed that the “permission” granted by the administration was only for one day and was conditional on the fact that there would be no objection from local residents.

Police said prayers have been offered here for more than a year without interruption. (Express photo)

In a written complaint filed with the police on Friday, a Rajiv Nagar resident claimed that for some time, people who are not from nearby areas (Rajiv Nagar, Mianwali Colony, and Gurgaon Village) had been offering namaz in the Sector. 12 A chowk.

In the letter, signed by the protesters, he stated: “I have a suspicion that these people are Rohingya or Bangladeshi. Their identifications should be verified and a written list should be prepared. Residents of the area are outraged by this problem and it could escalate into violence. “

Kulbhushan Bhardwaj, who led the protests on Friday, said: “We do not oppose the local residents of the Muslim community who are offering prayers. But, there has to be an investigation to verify who are these ‘outsiders’ who come here illegally and disturb the harmony. We don’t know who they are. This will not be tolerated. Residents of Sector 47 are also protesting. Namaz must be offered in mosques. We have submitted a written complaint to the police ”.

Yash Garg, Deputy Commissioner (DC), Gurgaon, said: “We have learned of the matter. Today there were protests during the namaz in Sector 12. We are examining it from all angles and a decision will be made taking into account everyone’s feelings ”.

Last week, after consultations with the DC, the residents of Sector 47 had decided to postpone the protests for at least two weeks.

Addressing the issue after chairing a grievance redress committee meeting in Gurgaon last week, Haryana’s Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar said: “Everyone has the right to pray. No one should hurt the feelings of others or interrupt prayers. Prayers should be offered at designated sites as suggested by administration. At the same time, it should not pose any obstacles related to any task or traffic. Management is handling the situation and I have asked them to resolve the issue amicably with the agreement of all parties. “

Rahees Khan, who had come to pray in Sector 12A, said: “At 12:45 pm, a group of people raising slogans gathered at the site and tried to interrupt the namaz. The protesters argued with the police for an hour and asked them to change places. I have been coming to this site to pray for over a year. During the confinement, the prayers did not happen. “

Satender Singh, SHO, Sector 14 Police Station, said: “A group of 30 to 35 protesters, including those from Bajrang Dal, had opposed the namaz prayers in the Sector 12 chowk. They resorted to the slogans. We ask that you put your complaint and problems in writing. They have sent one. The protesters also said they would not allow the namaz to take place at the site starting next week. The police and the district administration are working to solve the problem ”.

Haji Shehzad Khan, chairman of the Muslim Ekta Manch, said: “It is the administration’s responsibility to ensure the protection of people who pray in designated places. In recent months, namaz has been interrupted in various places in the city. “

Anurag Kulshrestha, Media Cell Coordinator, VHP, Gurgaon, said: “The representatives of Bajrang Dal, Durga Vahini and VHP, together with the residents of the area, had protested. The property where the namaz is offered is private land. This is a tactic to invade; it is also happening in other sectors. Previously, only a few people used to offer namaz here, but now the number is increasing every week. “

.

[ad_2]

admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.